Whoooo Am I? Help name Fontenelle Forest’s new Barn Owl
We have a new baby owlet joining the Forest team and he needs a name!
Click here to make a donation in support of his care and cast your vote to name Fontenelle Forest’s newest Raptor Education Ambassador!
Your support today will help pay for the care of this barn owl over his lifetime, and help us to fulfill our mission of educating people about the importance of raptor conservation through educational programs for children, adults, and seniors.
The average lifetime cost of food, care, and staff time is about $15,000.
Donate and Vote
Learn all the details about our newest addition!
• Hatch date: June 18, 2021
• Born in West Virginia
• He is a “he,” and males are smaller than females. He weighs less than a pound!
• This owlet is a dual imprint, which means he is a 2nd generation human imprint (parents are also human imprints)
• Barn owls have a few nicknames:
— flying stomachs (they eat 2-3 mice every day)
— monkey-faced owl
— ghost owl (they scream instead of hooting)
• Each foot has a pectinate claw. This is a built-in comb to help them keep their facial feathers neat and clean.
• Their face is shaped like a satellite dish to help move sounds to their asymmetrical ear flaps.
• Their numbers in the wild are decreasing in many states due to habitat destruction and rodent poisonings.
• This barn owl will become a Raptor Education Ambassador, helping to educate people about the conservation of raptors through statewide raptor education.
How much does a barn owl cost to raise over its lifetime?
• Currently he eats 2 mice per day = $2.00 per day (1 mouse = $1)
• Annual vaccinations = $200 per year
• Average lifespan = 10 years
• Average lifetime cost of food, care and staff time = $15,000
Click on the button below and donate to vote for your favorite name! The name with the most votes will be the name of our new barn owlet! Voting closes on Friday, September 10, at midnight.
Donate and Vote
Watch the reveal!
Join us in the Raptor Woodland Refuge Saturday, Sept. 11 at 1:00 p.m., and watch the reveal of the barn owlet’s new name in person! The new barn owlet will make a short appearance! We will also stream the reveal on Facebook Live!