Call for Raptor Woodland Refuge Docents
Do you like to chat with others? Have a passion for raptors? You may be interested in becoming a Raptor Woodland Refuge Docent!
Docents are volunteer naturalists who share their knowledge and passion for Nebraska’s raptors.
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must be able to communicate effectively with others
- Must be able to commit to 6 hours minimum per month for a 1 year period
- Must complete 8 hours of initial training with a passing grade of 90%
- Must participate in 8 hours of continuing education per year
- Must be able to communicate through email
- Attend a Volunteer 101 program
Essential Functions of RWR Docents:
- Act as an interpretive guide to walk-ins and pre- scheduled groups of 20 or more
- Interpret raptor life history, ecology, and conservation and deliver raptor information through artifacts and other props
- Assist Raptor Care Specialist or other staff with additional duties if needed, including food preparation, feeding, cleaning, and equipment care.
- Ensure that RWR visitors act appropriately
- Observe raptor behavior and report irregularities to Raptor Care Specialist or others
RWR Docents must be prepared to:
- Interact with visitors with a professional and friendly attitude
- Be on their feet for an extended period of time
- Be outdoors for an extended period of time
- Work closely with other RWR volunteers and staff at all times
- Complete application, waiver and interview
For more information or to apply, contact Denise Lewis, Raptor Recovery Volunteer Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-731-3140.